Thursday, July 28, 2005

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Today was a horrible day to be driving in traffic with no A/C. It was like 100 or so degrees out there and the wind factor felt like none. Zero miles per hour with no breeze to cool me off, it’s just awful. Luckily I was not going far but I chose the wrong route in which to get there. Just about a 30 minute ride in the hottest hour of the day WITH NO A/C (I can’t stress that enough).
My thoughts go out to all the homeless people, in Arizona, that have died this week without a way to cool off. The temperatures all over the country have been unbearable for some folks. In some areas where people do not even own air-conditioning units have been really been feeling the heat. It is horrific to think of not having an a/c at all, but if there was a chilly breeze year around I might not mind.
What we do if we didn’t have some of these things we so depend on for life? I can name plenty of things I could not live without. We always talk ourselves into things we want but not need or isn’t necessary. Then after we think it is a necessity, that what we think we want, is causing us to carry a responsibility for it. It is like when I get a new credit card I sign the dotted line saying I hold that burden of paying it off. If you are used to a certain luxury than you become accustom to, it is hard to downgrade to the cheaper version. Like take for example, if you have steak every night than something happens and you can’t afford it but you want it still. It is really hard for you to not be able to have a steak but you can sacrifice not having other things to have what you like the most (like steak). Things though get in the way like electric bills or rent and then you are back to square one. I once knew an alcoholic bum who used to work for us on the jobsite. He was a pleasant man very social able and worked really hard but at the end of the day he didn’t like the idea of paying rent. He would have rather slept on a bench than pay a nickel of his alcohol money on rent, just a thought in the mind of a bum.
I work hard for what I have and sometimes it isn’t easy but that‘s reality for what I want in my life. Has all the bills been paid this month? Does my spending go beyond what I make per month? What is it I want for the future? How can I achieve my goals?

2 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

SO you heard of our poor sad souls way out there have ya. It is really sad, in the winter we can atlease take them blankets and sox, but what do ya take them I the summer?

Serenity said...

Yep, I lived right near the beach for a while and there was always homeless sleeping on the beach at night, sometimes we had them work in the yard for a few bucks.