Thursday, August 18, 2005

Along came polly

One of my favorite comedy movies is Along Came Polly. After I saw the movie back a few years ago I saved my money to buy a ferret and bought one for my 24th birthday. I named him Mr. Ferret because he was so very handsome for a ferret. At that time I was in a relationship living with my boyfriend in our house. I couldn’t be more excited about adopting this ferret and my boyfriend liked him too. For the first few days the little ferret would sleep all day long. I think he was just tired and needed rest from being away from the 5 or 6 ferrets he shared a cage with at the pet store. He was adorable so cute I was not looking at how he could be so mischievous. It was the beginning when he would wake me up early in the morning by scratching my feet with his claws. Smart little devil wanted to be fed. Ferrets don’t eat once a day but continually throughout the day. He also was potty trained to go on paper. One day Mr. Ferret escaped through a vent in the air- conditioning. Outside in the yard we had these large cap rocks in which we had planted these huge flowers around. I cried when I found out that he had runaway because Mr. Ferret was always curious about the front door and he was determined to escape some how. For three days we couldn’t find him yet the food I laid out for him at the front door was eaten. I made flyers and handed them out to the beachcombers passing by the house and the neighbors. We were losing hope when on the third day, he was found by a friend. My boyfriend saw him when he was found and I was ecstatic by the releiving good news.

Ferrets sleep most of the day, they sleep up to 20 hrs daily; when they are awake their habits include snooping and investigating. So, Mr. Ferret came home much to my delight with no major injuries yet a little dehydrated. Ferrets are one of the smartest pets you can have they are much smarter than a dog or cat. My ferret has no disgusting odor of any kinds but we washed him three times a week. Giving them a bath is a normality for having a ferret. Those first few baths were hell for him and me and left me with scars on my wrists. How I would pray that he may get comfortable with the process of water. So I would experiment with different techniques of washing Mr. Ferret. I tried just about everything from using a hairdryer to using the shower head and numerous other ways. Only just recently has he got used to taking a bath but I will not forget how it was at the beginning.

When we moved away to New York last year, we packed Mr. Ferret with us because he was family. We had a long car trip ahead of us just my boyfriend, me, and Mr. Ferret. It was incredibly fun because Mr. Ferret would sleep under our seats and once in while wake up to check on us. When we arrived in Long Island, Mr. Ferret took up residence in the basement. He seemed to like it there. It was very cool in there and we would visit him often. Sometimes we would sneak him upstairs to our rooms but would have to put him back in the basement in the morning. He was getting attached to us and while I was having trouble with my boyfriend I still wanted to keep my ferret. So when I left last year around Christmas I had to leave my precious ferret with my boyfriend. Thank god he loves Mr. Ferret and I trust him. He would tell me what my ferret would do and make me smile. Funny things like playing in the snow and things like sleeping in his sock drawer. I miss my birthday ferret and wish so much I could have kept him. Considering the facts though I couldn’t because my dog would have eaten him alive and I can’t have that. Plus my boyfriend favored him so much I had no choice. So this post is really about remembering my ferret. Having a ferret was such a joyful experience and I will look at his pictures with love.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm too scared of tiny animals or rodents of any kind!

Serenity said...

No rodent here, they are in the musk family. Have you ever seen a ferret?

Danielle said...

i have to admit, i'm a little freaked out by ferrets, because two times in pet stores i have overheard people who work there talking about how ferrets got returned for biting kids and drawing blood. Yikes! But my boyfriend's brother has several of them and loves them, so I'm sure they are great and lovable creatures. I'm also sure my dog would have none of that!