Thursday, September 01, 2005

Rainy Daze


Going to the French Quarter was always such a happy time for me. I remember going there on my 18th birthday with some friends of mine and my mother too. She had got her friend Tom to let us use his apartment in the French Quarter, located 2 blocks from Bourbon Street. It was a trip of remembrance because that was when I got my tongue pierced at Rings of Desire. My mom didn’t want me to do it but my friends chipped in on the money and I wanted to do it. I recall she was to upset with me she couldn’t even look at them piercing my tongue. She was curious and kept running in and out of the room to check on me. It took only a second but the prep is what took so long. Being my birthday is two days before St. Patrick’s Day I saw a parade while there and still have the beads I received back in 1998. As I recall we ate beignets, my favorite, and shopped along the farmers market. We also did a lot of window shopping at places like the place named Trashy Divas. That shop was the coolest because they had old 50s purses in mint condition as well as other clothes from that era. The shop keepers wore that 50s makeup and even had the hair styled as if they were living in that time. The French Quarter holds such memories that are fond to me.



All these memories flood me at this time of such tragic loss there. My heart is broken to look at the water flooding this beautiful city yet I am also sad for the people that lived there. I am praying for those folks not only in New Orleans but also the adjoining states in Mississippi and Alabama. My heart goes to the families who lost there loved ones and to the ones who lost a home to this gigantic storm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Choosing an RSS Reader
Choosing an RSS reader may seem like a daunting task, but it's actually quite easy, and a very low-risk proposition, as most feed readers are free to try.
This is a great blog with much good info.
My main interest is genealogy, and I have written a genealogy book which you can find along with many articles at my site. I believe it's the only genealogy book of its kind, dealing specifically with search for noble ancestors.